Every Friday I highlight the most interesting or entertaining items from my media diet from the past week.
- 20 Lessons I’ve Learned as a 15 Year Old Web Developer (joshternyak.com): Smart kid. Wish I had accumulated this much wisdom at his age.
- 50 Ideas that Changed My Life (perell.com): Fun catalog of interesting ideas and concepts.
- A First Look at Unreal Engine 5 (unrealengine.com): The next version of the well-known game development engine looks incredible.
- The Day the Pirates Came (bbc.com): Dramatic story about an Indian sailor taken hostage by West African pirates.
- First it Was Craigslist, Next It’s Zapier (ghost.io): Not much to the article, but he core idea is interesting: look to niche Zapier automations for viable business ideas.
- How I Turned an Idea into $7k by Teaching Online (leerob.io): Author shares the blueprint he used to create and monetize a digital product.
- Nine Truths for Role-players Who Start Writing (mythcreants.com): Insights on the differences between collective storytelling (via RPGs) and more traditional written storytelling.
- The Psychology of Design: 101 Cognitive Biases & Principles That Affect Your UX (growth.design): Lists of mental models are a dime-a-dozen, but where one offers many well-documented real world examples which sets it apart.
- Quarantine Fatigue Is Real (theatlantic.com): “Instead of an all-or-nothing approach to risk prevention, Americans need a manual on how to have a life in a pandemic.”
- The Real Lord of the Flies: What Happened When Six Boys Were Shipwrecked for 15 Months (theguardian.com): Uplifting story about a group of Tongan boys that thumbs its nose at William Golding’s hypothesis.
- What Lifestyle Changes Will Shrink Your Carbon Footprint the Most? (sciencenews.org): Practical guide on which consumer choices can make the biggest impact.
- When Monks Went Undercover to Steal Relics (jstor.org): “An impressive relic could put your town on the map, bringing in pilgrims, money, and prestige.”
- Against the Rules: Don’t Be Good—Be Great (atrpodcast.com): Michael Lewis tells the story of Billy Fitzgerald, the coach that he wrote about in his 2008 book “Coach: Lessons in the Game of Life.”
- This American Life: The Out Crowd (thisamericanlife.org): This episode, about Trump’s ‘Remain in Mexico’ asylum policy, won the 2020 Pulitzer Prize for audio reporting.
- How I Built This: Impossible Foods (npr.org): Interview with Pat Brown who founded the company when he was 60 and set out to create a plant-based burger that even hardcore carnivores would love.
- Wind of Change (crooked.com): 8-part series about a heavy metal power ballad that helped bring down the Soviet Union. The hook: was it written by the CIA and part of covert psychological operation?